There is a lot of speculation as to how important a morning routine really is. Is waking up naturally based on your body clock the answer or should you be stumbling over to an unnaturally cold ice bath and jumping in? The fact is, when it comes to the perfect morning routine, no one knows what feels right better than you. But if you’re interested in some easy and effective morning routines, we have highlighted 5 of the most popular unfolding before us that are very much worth trying.
1. Waking up early: How it can positively impact your day
There’s something magical about waking up early and having a few hours to yourself before the rest of the world wakes up.
Tip: Let’s say you normally wake up at 7am to get ready for work. By waking up at 5am instead, you could have two hours to yourself before anyone else is awake. During this time, you can do things that make you feel good, like read a book, enjoy a cup of coffee, or take a walk. Waking up early can help you feel more productive, focused, and energised throughout the day. It also gives you the time to fit in other healthy habits, like meditation and exercise.
2. Starting your day with meditation: The benefits of a morning mindfulness practice
Meditation is a powerful tool for cultivating mindfulness, reducing stress, and improving overall well-being. Starting your day with a short meditation practice can help you feel more centred, focused, and calm throughout the day. It can also help you cultivate a greater sense of gratitude and appreciation for the present moment.
Tip: The following is a small 15-minute meditation technique you can start with :
- Find a comfortable seated position with your feet firmly planted on the ground and your hands resting on your lap.
- Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths, inhaling through your nose and exhaling through your mouth.
- Begin to focus your attention on your breath, feeling the sensation of the air moving in and out of your body.
- As thoughts or distractions arise, simply acknowledge them without judgement and bring your attention back to your breath.
- Continue to focus on your breath for a few minutes, allowing yourself to fully relax and let go of any tension or stress.
- When you’re ready, gently open your eyes and take a moment to reflect on how you feel. You may notice a greater sense of calm, clarity, and focus as you start your day.
3. The power of exercise in the morning: How it can energise your entire day
Exercise is a natural mood booster, and starting your day with a workout can help you feel more energised and focused throughout the day. Whether it’s a quick jog around the block, a yoga class, or some strength training, getting your body moving in the morning can help you feel more alert, awake and ready to tackle the day ahead.
Tip: A short 20-minute walk in the morning can boost your mood, improve circulation, increase energy levels, reduce stress and anxiety and help maintain a healthy weight over time.
4. Planning your day: The importance of a morning routine for productivity
Having a consistent morning routine can help you feel more organised and in control of your day. Taking a few minutes each morning to plan out your day, set goals, and prioritise tasks can help you be more productive and efficient throughout the day. It can also help you avoid feeling overwhelmed and stressed out.
Tip: In addition to planning your day, incorporating journaling into your morning routine can be a helpful tool for enhancing self-reflection and mental clarity. Journaling allows you to express your thoughts and feelings, identify patterns and areas for growth, and set intentions for the day ahead. By taking the time to write down your thoughts, you may also find it easier to let go of any worries or concerns that may be weighing on your mind. Overall, journaling can be a valuable addition to your morning routine, helping you to start your day with a clear and focused mind.
5. Nourishing your body: The benefits of a healthy breakfast to kickstart your day
Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. Eating a nutritious breakfast can help you feel more energised, focused, and satisfied throughout the morning. It can also help you make healthier choices throughout the day, since you’ll be less likely to reach for sugary snacks or junk food later on. Try to aim for a breakfast that includes protein, fibre, and healthy fats, like eggs, whole grain toast, avocado, or a smoothie packed with fruits and veggies.
Tip: One quick and healthy breakfast option is to make overnight oats. Simply mix rolled oats with your favourite milk, add in some chia seeds or flax seeds for extra fibre, and let it sit in the fridge overnight. In the morning, top it off with your favourite fruits and nuts for added nutrients and flavour.
By incorporating these healthy habits into your morning routine, you’ll be well on your way to a happier, healthier, and more productive day. So set that alarm a little earlier, and give yourself the gift of a peaceful, productive morning routine. Your future self will thank you.